Monday, May 6, 2013
Private Eye gives us those UKIP policies in full
UKIP is not a liberal/libertarian party and not a particularly authoritarian; it has stopped talking about the EU and has been talking about being the other lot, not the three main ones, representing ordinary people. All piffle. What they really want is a kind of rose-coloured version of the 1950s as it never existed.
The reality was rather grim with rationing in place for the first half of the decade and large numbers emigrating to Australia, New Zealand and Canada. I suppose narrowness of outlook can seem to be security and happiness as viewed from a distance.
There is also the problem that the fifties ended with an economy that stopped functioning, a growing national debt, an ever more powerful grip on the country by the unions and ... yes, the sixties. But this time, they will get it right and the new and more glorious 1950s will turn into a kind of Brigadoon.
Anyway, here are those policies in full, as published by Private Eye:
1. Smoking to be allowed in pubs.
2. Waxed jackets to be made mandatory.
3. Chaps not obliged to help with the washing up.
4. VAT on beards.
5. Massive investment in golf club construction.
6. Driving gloves to be worn in cars at all times.
7. Bring back Robertson's Golly on marmalade jars.
8. Police permitted to give young offenders a clip round the ear.
9. Black and white TV to return.
10. Johnny foreigner to get marching orders .... whoops.
You think this is not right? Then you have not been paying attention.